Thursday, May 19, 2011

Following standards and having no fear

How are you doing at meeting the NETS standards?
After checking the ISTE website for current teaching standards, I was surprised to find out that I am acutally covering quite a few of them, desipte the fact that I was doing so unknowingly.  For example, the second standard states to "design and develop digital learning experiences and assessments."  I feel that this is something I cover almost everyday.  The class that I teach is called Read180.  It is a reading program designed to assist strugglinlg readers.  Students are required to spend at least 20 minutes a day on the R180 software.  I can then tailor my mini-lessons based on the feedback (assessement) provided by the software. 

In addition to the R180 software, I also incorporate online journals, magazines, and newspapers in attempt to engage my students.  Many of my students come from homes where reading is not valued.  In most cases school is the only place my students will have the opportunity to read, and for the 21st century learner, it seems like they will be more engaged if they are reading text off a screen rather than text in a book.

What are the barriers to technology use in your professional setting?
It seems that the common mantra in education is to do more with less.  In other words, we are always required to incorporate new technology...but with less money.  I know that our school is not unique in this problem and that many others can relate to this problem.

Despite budget crunches felt in the district, my classroom is pretty blessed.  My position is funded through title I, and all of the equimpment I have is also funded through Title I.  That said, I think the biggest barrier to technology use in my professional setting would be myself.  Although I consider myself a digital native, there are still a lot of things that I need to learn.

How does the Biblical command to "fear not" apply to your technology use?
I think fear is what would be holding me back from incorporating technology in my classroom.  The fear that I might ruin something is prevalent, and I have noticed that this fear is not a quality associated with today's 21st century learner.  Like anything else in life, fear is often associated to the unknown.  Once something is brought out of the darkness and into the light, then it becomes less scary.  So it goes with implementing technology into the classroom.

What are your personal goals as you begin this class on technology?
One of my main goals is to have practical, ready to use, standards based lesson plans that will be avialiable for immediate implementation.  To supplement my learning in this class I will also be taking several day long classes offered by our school district this summer.

Another goal is to get over some of my fears as far as using technology in the classroom.  The methods used to teach my generation aren't going to engage the 21st century learner. 

Finally, I need to learn more about troubleshooting if there is a technology problem in the classroom.  I have learned the hard way to make sure everything is in good working order before a lesson begins.  It is pretty frightening to have 30 students staring at you when the technology you need is not working. 

Matt A.

3 comments:

  1. Well, we can be in this together! I am ready to take the plunge and recognize that the only thing that has really been holding me back is me. I think when we are truly prepared to face our fears, then we can begin to really change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you already know, technology doesn't always work. You have to be able to troubleshoot and also have a backup plan if something goes wrong. I don't think the students care. They appreciate the fact that you are trying something different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I commented once and lost it in the ether. arrgh, technology)

    Good post, Matt. I am in the same boat with you. I especially like what you said about the fear of the unknown. Hopefully, as we begin using tech to improove what we do, the process will begin to snowball and become easier until we are not even thinking about it anymore.

    Mike Mathews

    PS - the lost comment was much more eloquent.

    ReplyDelete